Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Yellow River State Forest


we laughed forever at this picture.  Doesn't Tyler look like a turtle?!?!?
This picture isn't much better...

If you were curious as to if we were still doing these, we are.  Turns out it’s a lot slower going with kids.

So while the kids were at Camp Grandma again we decided to camp a few nights before picking them up.  Thursday night we set our GPS and chose the “scenic route” which winded us through small towns and there were a few times we weren’t sure if the road was going to take us somewhere or just end.  My only request was that we eat at somewhere that wasn’t a chain restaurant.  We chose “Greasers” and Ty definitely paid for that decision the next day ;)

We weren’t able to book this campsite online, so we had to gamble with just showing up and hoping there was an open campsite.  Turns out we pretty much had the entire campground to ourselves that night.  We set up our tent and got everything unpacked and then headed to town to buy groceries.  Turns out the grocery store in Waukon closes super early so we chose the next best place—Kwik Star.  Have you guys ever been to one of these? Holy crap they sell everything.  We were able to get all of our breakfast, lunch and dinner items in one place.  I think we looked pretty strange at 9:30 at night on Thursday night using a shopping cart and buying groceries at a gas station, but hey we’re okay not being considered townies.

The campsite was awesome.  It reminded us of Colorado.  We were in the middle of a valley with very large hills surrounding our campsite.

As you can tell, we were the only ones there.  Apparently showers and running water turn most people off...


Saturday morning we woke up and made a delicious breakfast of campfire hot pockets which consisted of eggs, bacon, cheese and bread.  Our next task was to explore the State Park to see if there truly wasn’t any facilities with running water.  Turns out we were unable to locate anything other than a toilet seat covering a hole in the ground.  And that’s why no one was camping here... We did take some pics at the lookout:

See that little clearing in the middle with that brown stump looking thing?  That's the "toilet" at our campsite.
Ty ended up taking a 2-3 hour nap, while I just couldn’t get comfortable—it was just too hot, even with nice breezy hammocks.
My view of the "river" from my hammock

When it's too hot to nap, just drink instead...
We LAUGHED at ever for this one too.  Sweet view for Ty... and no, I'm not birthing him...

Turns out it's pretty tough to get a picture of both of us in our hammocks...

Taking full advantage of no kids...

After naptime we had a grand idea to creek walk.  Turns out the water must have been a spring from up North because IT. WAS. FREEZING.  The icy water was too close to Ty's man parts and he was not enjoying it at all, so after about 10 minutes of cooling off he was over the creekwalk. 

At least we scored some swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet shoes out of it...

So instead of an awesome creek walk adventure we decided to check out the next town over.  How could you not love the name of this town?  There we searched high and low for some sort of memorabilia.  All we could find was a koozie from the local gas station with the town printed on it.  That’ll have to do for Miss Harper. J  We had some beers at the local bar, drove around the town, stopped at the Farmer’s Market before heading back home for dinner.

On our way back home I spotted a sign for a National Park (did you know Iowa had one? I did not).  So we scooted in the museum building right before closing time.  We wanted to take a hike to visit the mounds, however, in our current condition (hottest day EVER and no facilities to take a shower) we decided against it.  Until next time EffigyMounds.

After dinner we sat around the campfire sweating some more before we finally called it a night.  I think the heat got to me that night because I was delusional.  I woke Tyler up to tell him I heard raccoons and I was afraid they were going to attack our tent.  I woke him up again to let him know I had to go to the bathroom but I was afraid the raccoons were going to jump me outside.  Later that night it got really windy and we could hear a nasty storm rolling in.  I woke Ty up to let him know I thought we needed to pack up all our gear before it started down-pouring.  All I could think of were some disastrous camping experiences in the past. He asked what stuff that we had to pick up and I told him the tent.  He said, “Uh, we’re in the tent”.  Needless to say I got about 3 hours of sleep last night and it never did really storm.  It got really windy and a couple of times the tent bent over and the roof of the tent hit us in the face.


Sunday we were ready to see our babies.  We packed up and busted it back to STA where again, I don’t think they really missed us...


As always here's a list of the 55 State Parks (only 45 more to go!):

Ambrose A. Call State Park
Backbone State Park
Beeds Lake State Park
Bellevue State Park here
Black Hawk State Park
Brushy Creek State Park - here
Clear Lake State Park
Dolliver Memorial State Park
Elinor Bedell State Park
Elk Rock State Park
Emerson Bay & Lighthouse State Park
Fairport State Park
Fort Defiance State Park
Geode State Park
George Wyth State Park - here
Green Valley State Park
Gull Point State Park
Honey Creek State Park
Lacey-Keosauqua State Park
Lake Ahquabi State Park here
Lake Anita State Park
Lake Darling State Park
Lake Keomah State Park
Lake Macbride State Park
Lake Manawa State Park
Lake of Three Fires State Park
Lake Wapello State Park
Ledges State Park
Lewis & Clark State Park
Maquoketa Caves State Park
Marble Beach State Park
Mcintosh Woods State Park
Nine Eagles State Park - here
Pallisades-Kepler State Park
Pikes Peak State Park
Pilot Knob State Park - here
Pine Lake State Park
Pleasant Creek State Recreation Area
Prarie Rose State Park
Preparation Canyon State Park
Red Haw State Park
Rock Creek State Park - here
Shimek Forest State Park
Springbrook State Park
Stephens Forest State Park
Stone State Park
Union Grove State Park
Viking Lake State Park
Volga River State Park
Walnut Woods State Park -here
Wapsipinicon State Park -here
Waubonsie State Park
Wildcat Den State Park

Wilson Island State Park
Yellow River Forest Camp State Park just camped!

No comments:

Post a Comment