So after Miles was born I tried the Paleo diet for a month. I liked it, but I ultimately stopped because well, carbs are too important in my life. This girl's gotta have some bread and butter. My friend Jenna and I always used to joke that her after dinner snack was ice cream and mine was toast. :) See, I'm already off track...
So, after I stopped the Paleo diet I did follow a general rule of thumb that what I did eat needed to have less than 5 ingredients or ingredients that I could pronounce and knew what they were. So basically clean eating. Or what I'm going to call clean eating. That worked really well for me and I was still able to eat my bread. WIN! So basically for dinner I just rotate my meats and then cook a vegetable with it. We try to stay away from creams and carbs.
The grocery store in our town is pretty pathetic so I travel 20 miles to the next closest one, which happens to be an Aldis. And I'm pretty much obsessed with it. I've been super impressed with the amount of organic and non-gmo things they offer. (Plus, my kids already eat like teenagers, so I'm saving some dough on food too!) My daily vegetable rotation was corn, green beans, broccoli and it was getting pretty old. So the last time I was at the store I made a game out of picking up one of every vegetable in the organic section and decided I'd figure out later what to make.
I bought Brussels sprouts, a cabbage and zucchini. Talk about totally random and out of my elelment. Good thing I had my dear friend Pinterest to help a girl out.
First up: Brussel Sprouts
Guys, these were AMAZING. So good, that I had 2 helpings that night and I made one container of left overs that Ty and I tried hiding in the fridge so the other couldn't find it when we went to pack our lunches in the morning... He won. Not because he had a better hiding spot, but because he gets up earlier. He got to take them to work... insert super sad face here.

Here's the recipe. I just used croutons instead of seasoned bread crumbs. I also sliced the Brussels sprouts before cooking.
Ingredients
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Instructions
- Add brussels sprouts, black pepper, garlic salt & 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet.
- Cook over a low heat allowing the brussels sprouts to brown on each side before flipping them.
- After about 10 minutes add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil & seasoned bread crumbs.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- The edges should be browned.
Seriously. Go make them.
No comments:
Post a Comment