Friday, November 7, 2014

a kitty and her pumpkin




A couple months before Halloween I started prepping Harper and asking her what she wanted to be for Halloween. I knew I wanted to make her costume this year, so I needed some time to prep and figure out what it was she was going to be.  I for sure thought she would pick Doc McStuffins or a princess, but she surprised me early on by stating she wanted to be a black kitty and it never really swayed from that.  I was shocked she would pick something so "simple" and traditional.  For the longest time we couldn't figure out where she came up with the idea and settled on black kitty.  Until one day she pulled out the Pottery Barn magazine and wanted to show me the black kitty in the catalog.  She had picked her costume from the Pottery Barn Catalog. Seriously a girl after my own heart.

Next it was on to Miles.  I briefly thought about a puppy, but then remembered I had Harper's old Pumpkin costume and it was gender neutral enough that I could reuse it.  I mean, what goes better with a black kitty than a pumpkin?  Easy costumes for the win!

Our pumpkin carving party was a little small this year and by small I mean just the four of us.  Harper nor Miles wanted to clean the gunk out of the pumpkin. Every time we'd place a pumpkin on Miles' tray he'd say "uh-uh"and try to push it off the tray.  Harper kept asking what we were doing and wanted nothing to do with it.  She did get a MAJOR kick out of drawing all of the faces on the pumpkins.  She'd draw the eyes, nose and mouth and then I cut it out.  A couple times she told me I didn't do it right or that an eye wasn't big enough so she'd redraw it larger and then I'd carve it out again.






On trick or treat night it was FREEZING.  We had to modify Harper's costume to include her winter coat, which ironically worked out perfectly.  Instead of a black kitty, she became a leopard kitty. Another mom score for the win!!
She wanted everyone to make sure they saw her tail...



Miles was so much fun.  He thought he was such big stuff walking up to each house, climbing the step and taking a piece of candy.  He'd even say, "thank you" in his toddler gibberish every time.  After he'd take the piece of candy, he'd try to sideswipe the homeowner and crawl up the stoop and into their house.  I'm not sure what his objective was there (maybe wanted to get out of the cold?) but he'd throw a little tantrum every time we said, "no".  Once or twice he made it inside... talk about awkward...
man on a mission



Here's a little comparison I posted on Instagram.  I remember thinking Harper looked so much like Tyler, but in this picture compared to Miles all I can see is her resembling me.

Also, just because they were too priceless not to share...

Our nanny tried to put pants on Miles one morning and he kept saying, "eh-eh" so she caved and didn't make him wear pants. :)  Later when she had a play date at our house all the other kids were dressed in costume, Miles still didn't want to wear pants.  So she found it an opportune time to take lots of pictures of him.  These are definitely front contenders to go in his yearbook...







No comments:

Post a Comment